You Can't Lick 'em
Self-adhesive coils are a relatively new idea, and the early releases did not catch on wholeheartedly among PNC collectors. However the public likes them and its clear from the 1996 PNC release schedule that, like it or not, we are stuck with them.
The USPS has been experimenting with these stamps and there are at least two and perhaps 3 formats to consider.
- Separate imperforate stamps on liner paper. These are really not coils in any meaningful sense of the word and may later be seen as a separate type of stamp. We would have plate number coils, plate number booklet stamps, and these.
- Self-adhesive coils on liner paper. These are separated by a kind of rouletting. They are the same size as coils and the stamps are issued connected to each other.
- Self-adhesive coils issued without liner paper. I don't know why these don't stick to themselves in the coil but perhaps it is a matter of the pressure required to make them adhere. As I write these are announced but not released.
Table of Contents
29˘ Self-Adhesive Coils
32˘ Self-Adhesive Coils
Back to top of page or to next stamps
The 29˘ Self-Adhesive Coils
- 29˘ Christmas '93. Scott #2799-2802 Oct 21, 1993
- 29˘ Pine Cone. Scott #2491. Nov 5, 1993
- 29˘ Love Scott #2813 Jan 27, 1994
- 29˘ Eagle Scott #2598 Feb 4, 1994
- 29˘ Statue of Liberty Scott # 2599 June 24, 1994
- 29˘ Santa Scott #2873 Oct 20, 1994
|Description||PS1|| PS3||PS8||Cover ||FDC
|29˘ Christmas #V1111111||4.90 ||6.50 ||8.00 ||6.00 ||6.00
||Description||PS1|| PS3||PS5||Cover ||FDC
|29˘ Pine Cone #B1||5.50 ||6.00||6.50 ||6.00 ||6.00
|29˘ Love # B1||5.50 ||6.00 ||6.50 ||6.00 ||6.00 |
| 29˘ Eagle #111 ||5.50 ||6.00 ||6.50 ||6.00 ||6.00 |
|29˘ Liberty #D1111||5.50 ||6.00 ||6.50 ||6.00 ||6.00 |
| 29˘ Santa #V1111 ||5.50 ||6.00 ||6.50 ||6.00 ||6.00 |
|29˘ Self Adhesive Coils set of 6 || 32.40 ||36.50 ||39.50||36.00||36.00|
The 32˘ Self-Adhesive Coils
- (32˘) G-Glory Scott #2886 Dec 13, 1994
- 32˘ Flag Scott #2915. Apr 18, 1995
- 32˘ Rose Scott #2492 Jun 2, 1995
- 32˘ Pear Scott #2495A Jul 8, 1995
- 32˘ Boy Scott #3014-17. Unk 1995
- 32˘ Angel Scott #3108 Unk, 1995
|Description||PS1|| PS3||PS5||Cover ||FDC
|(32˘) G-Glory #V11111||3.80 ||4.40 ||5.00 ||4.00 ||5.00
|32˘ Flag #V11111||3.30 ||3.90 ||4.50 ||4.00 ||5.00
|32˘ Rose #S111||3.30 ||3.90 ||4.50 ||4.00 ||5.00 |
| 32˘ Pear #V11111 ||3.30 ||3.90 ||4.50 ||4.00 ||5.00 ||Description||PS1|| PS3||PS8||Cover ||FDC
|32˘Boy #V1111||3.30 ||3.90 ||5.50 ||4.00 ||5.00 ||Description||PS1|| PS3||PS5||Cover ||FDC
| 32˘ Angel #V1111 ||3.30 ||3.90 ||5.50 ||4.00 ||5.00 |
|32˘ Self Adhesive Coils set of 6 || 20.30 ||24.00 ||28.50 ||24.00||30.00|
Back to top of page or to prior stamps
Unpopular with PNC collectors at first, the self-adhesives are proving to be the wave of the future. The difficulty is that they are a different size than other PNCs when left on their backing, and it seems clear that they should be left on their backing if mint. Especially problematic are the christmas issues with several designs. Collectors are attempting to keep PS8 of these, which are really unwieldy. Still, I imagine we will adapt just as we adapted to pre-cancels, the end of pre-cancels, tagging varieties, gum varieties and all the rest of it.
First Day Covers
As these stamps are not connected to each other a self-adhesive FDC properly should have but one stamp on it, and that one should be the PNC. Where the issue consists of more than one design in the coil, but only one design gets the PNC the cover might include the other designs, but need not.
The backing on these stamps can come in 4 positions. I believe it is kown in more than one on some issues. I'd like to know for sure that one cannot carefully lift these stamps off the backing and then replace them upside down without being detected before I pay a premium for such varieties. I hope that tampering can be detected as these types of varieties can be fun.
Back to top of page or PNC home page or my main stamp home page
This page's address is http://www.asis.com/~edenson/pncnr.html. It was last updated 8 Mar 1997.