Planning for Safety
To increase your safety:
- Tell others you trust such as friends, family, neighbors and co-workers what is happening and talk about ways they might be able to help.
- Memorize emergency numbers for the local police, support persons and crisis hotlines.
- Identify escape routes and places to go if you need to flee from an unsafe situation quickly.
- Talk with your children about what they should do if a violent incident occurs or if they are afraid.
- Put together an emergency bag with money and/or checkbooks, extra car keys, medicine, and important papers such as birth certificates, social security cards, immigation documents, and medical cards. Keep it somewhere safe and accessible, such as with a trusted friend.
- Trust your instincts if you think you are in immediate danger, you probably are. Get to a safe place as soon as you can.
Women's Crisis Shelter in Southern Humboldt
P.O. Box 642
Garberville, CA 95560
Business: (707) 923-4100
HOTLINE: (800) 211-1188